the poetry room.

 
one of my favorite places to go in the city {san francisco} is city lights books. it's an independent bookstore that consists of three stories of eclectic, sometimes downright crazy bits and pieces of the written word. located on columbus avenue in the heart of north beach, you'll be able to grab a yummy cannoli down the street in a hidden italian pastry shop and browse hundreds of books in a creaky, extremely satisfying store.

i first visited when i was eighteen, as my feet will show you.
you can tell by the converse {which i still own/love} that i had just recently graduated high school. this past visit, i thought it was about time to change up the photo. i'm sure you can tell i've changed a bit.

i'll always love this little piece of north beach literary heaven. my eighteen-year-old self, as well as my twenty-year-self, tells you to GO. and take a picture with my favorite poetry room sign. it makes for a neat picture, if i do say so myself ;)

9 comments:

  1. sitting in an old armchair in the coroner of a tiny cramped bookstore, on rainy days, with a cup of coffee (or hot chocolate, if that's your cup of tea... err i mean beverage... you get it!)has got to be one of the best ways to spend an afternoon. love your post - brought back some memories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This place sounds amazing! What a nice memory!

    xo Rach
    rachiecakes-rachael.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE little old book stores. Some of my favorite times with my fiancee have been perusing old bookstores in random towns we visit. Love the stairs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that sounds like a lovely book stores. I wish we had something like this is my town.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've added it to my list of places to go next time I visit the city! :) Sounds wonderful. And I love your little boots!! Where did you get them?
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. i really love this post! Sounds like a great place!
    xoxo

    http://idontjustexistilive.blogspot.be/

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so cute! I love the pictures of then and now. What a great place. I wish I had a special place like this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OH HOW GREAT! I remember you telling me about this place, and now I want to go with my new found love for Joan. ;) OH! Hipster clothing for the older woman! Will be 21 sooooon though. <3 LET'S enjoy our birthdays together! WOOO!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're so lucky to still have independent book stores near you. We have a couple but they are few and far between and usually tiny so you can't spend any time there. This sounds so lovely xx Lizz

    ReplyDelete

thank you for your sweet comments! i read every single one <3